Monday, October 22, 2012

Arguments of the Religious Cynics Never Change

I was reading from Alma Chapter 30 in the Book of Mormon and while reading the comments of the anti-Christ Korihor I was fascinated by the fact that the arguments against religion have and always will be the same. Korihor is bashing these religious traditions and exposing them as incorrect and foolish. The interesting thing is this: Korihor is exactly correct in his sermon on traditions. They can be incorrect, foolish, and lead people astray. The true religion is not false! I spent many months among a tribe who had traditions that did in fact lead people away from goodness and prosperity. However, the wonderful about Mormonism is that we are under a burden of confirming these truths for ourselves and gaining our own understanding and knowledge of the truth.

I thought I'd do a little comparison between Korihor and Bill Maher.



Korihor: Ye are bound down under a foolish and vain hope.
Bill Maher: This is why rational people, anti-religionists, must end their timidity and come out of the closet and assert themselves. And those who consider themselves only moderately religious really need to look in the mirror and realize that the solace and comfort that religion brings you actually comes at a terrible price.

Korihor: How do ye know of their surety? Ye cannot know things which ye don't see.
Bill Maher: And anyone who tells you they know, they just know what happens when you die, I promise you, you don't. How can I be so sure? Because I don't know, and you do not possess mental powers that I do not. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt.

Korihor: It is the effect of a frenzied mind, and this derangement of your minds comes because of the traditions of your fathers.
Bill Maher: I think religion stops people from thinking. I think it justified crazies.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home