Friday, November 2, 2012

The One Thing We Bring to Heaven

I occasionally think about what arriving in heaven will be like, if I even get there. The whole process is intriguing to me. I've often thought about what the judgment will be like and how much judging will actually be done, and by whom. When I start to think about this, the following scene plays out in my mind.


I have this image of a long line of spirits waiting in nervous anticipation to greet Jesus. As each anxious soul approaches the Savior he embraces them and speaks loving words with a glorious smile. I see him do this to everyone and then am caught off guard as I see each person, in turn, hand Jesus what appears to be some sort of stick. I don't know what it means, but I notice they are each different sizes and shapes, lengths and widths.

As I approach the Savior, he smiles a smile with the glow of a thousand sunrises and then he takes me in his arms and I am warmed by his embrace and the feeling of love that permeates my body. He then asks, "With what shall ye mete?" I was completely confused and did not know what he was asking or how I was to respond.

He pointed to my pocket and I was shocked to find a measuring stick that had been there the whole time but had gone unnoticed. I was uncomfortable to realize that my  measuring stick was much larger than those who had been judged just before me, but not knowing if that was good or bad.




Jesus looked in my eyes with a sense of pity. He then handed me a book from which I read the following: "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again". (Matthew 7:2)

He asked me to turn the page and read more. It said: "the Lord shall come to recompense unto every man according to his work, and measure to every man according to the measure which he has measured to his fellow man". (Doctrine and Covenants 1:10)

The Savior then said, "Ben, it is not I who judge you. You bring today your own measuring stick. Your whole life determined how you would be judged. If you had extended mercy to those who harmed you, if you had walked a mile in a man's shoes before casting stones, if you had lived with understanding and forgiveness, your measuring stick would be small. However, you were quick to pass unrighteous judgement, justice was your only friend, and your heart did not bring forth seeds of forgiveness. This is why your measuring stick is so large".

I bowed my head and stared at the floor in shame. I could not deny anything that was said. I held in my hand the measuring stick which I used to judge the world, and now the weight of that judgement was to be placed upon my own head. - The End

So I ask you dear reader, with what shall ye mete?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At November 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this Ben. No matter what religion, people should live their lives with a sense of this kind of judgement. Jen

 
At November 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Ben Arkell said...

Thanks Jenny.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home