Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Facebook Politics


I saw this status on FB today but could not respond because I don't want my alias to comment on posts. So I had to respond on my blog. This is what a friend's status said:

"Evangelicals are behind Mitt Romney! Are the Mormons? Of course I don't believe that every Mormon has to be a Republican (my parents were Democrats), and I don't believe anyone should vote for someone just because they're the same race or religion, but why wouldn't you be for an honest, hardworking leader who's served as a missionary, a bishop, a stake president, and a governor, is a great husband, father, and grandfather, and has the education, experience, and knowledge to lead others to success? And if you think he's not "down to earth", don't believe the media, believe the people who truly know him! Since when was being wealthy a bad thing? And, by the way, he's so tight with his money he packed, moved, and drove his own U-Haul to his new home in CA!!! Just saying!"

Before I let Mitt address the reasons I can't support him, let me just say that I'm sure Mitt is a great man. I know he's charitable and kind. I don't care that he makes lots of money and only pays 15% tax, in fact I think those are great things. What I have learned is that he is naive. He supports so many pieces of legislation that go against the Constitution and then he defends himself by saying: "I don't think anyone would abuse this power.". But Mitt, that is exactly why we have the Constitution, so powers aren't abused. We don't change the Constitution and then assume people will do the right thing.


Here is my response to the Facebook post in Mitt's own words:




My least favorite part: (:53) "I don't think he's going to abuse this power". That's why we have the constitution, so powers won't be abused.



My least favorite part: (:11) "You sit down with your attorneys and tell you what you have to do..". The Constitutions states you are not allowed to go to war without a declaration of war.




My least favorite part: (1:44)  "The Patriot Act is a useful tool". Benjamin Franklin said: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I won't even go into his opinions of the Federal Reserve, War in general, etc...I could place 20 more clips on here, but I've gotten bored. Toodles.

4 Comments:

At December 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Fotofule said...

I'm a latecomer to your blog. Just working my way back through some of the post titles that piqued my interest. This one in particular made me feel good. I feel exactly the same. Nice to hear another member express these concerns. I felt awfully alone :). Appreciate your evenhanded treatment of difficult topics.

 
At December 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Fotofule said...

I'm a latecomer to your blog. Just working my way back through some of the post titles that piqued my interest. This one in particular made me feel good. I feel exactly the same. Nice to hear another member express these concerns. I felt awfully alone :). Appreciate your evenhanded treatment of difficult topics.

 
At December 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Ben Arkell said...

Thanks for the comment. I'm trying to not touch on political topics as much on my blog anymore, but I couldn't leave this post alone. Thanks for checking out the site!

 
At November 9, 2014 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.

buy facebook votes for contest || buy online votes

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home