Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Five Most Viewed Movies Of All-Time

Alright, so maybe the title was a little deceiving. It's true in part, but I left out two words: "By Me". I recently was reminded of a movie I used to watch over and over as a kid. I loved it. I decided to scour the internet until I finally found one company that actually sold the movie. I bought it for the kids and they loved it too! Now my little boy can have a crush on the same girl I had a crush on when I was young.

"Regina" in The Witching of Ben Wagner

This got me thinking about the movies I watched as a kid. I give you my top 5 most frequently viewed movies:

1. Hoosiers or The Natural



Such great movies. The two best sports movies of all-time. Who can forget this scene in Hoosiers?


Best scene: It sends chills up my spine just thinking of Jimmy Chitwood coming of the dribble and nailing the shot at the buzzer to win the Indiana State High School Championship. Not to be outdone, Roy Hobbs' powerful swing brought the NY Knights the pennant. Best scenes: Hobbs knocking the cover off the ball and nailing a home-run into the lights and creating his own "fireworks".





2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Yes, it's as cheesy as it looks
I know, I know. But this I blame on my sister. It's actually a pretty good movie if you take out all the singing and dancing. Best scene: Milly flips the table of food over onto her new family. "If your gonna act like hogs, you're gonna eat like hogs!"

3. The Witching of Ben Wagner (aka, The Adventures of Ben Wagner, aka Ben Wagner)


They changed the name a few times to make it seem more family friendly. Great movie with the most annoying big sister you will ever meet. The best scene? Ben flies his RC plane from the back seat of the car as his family is driving to their new house. I wish I could do that!

4. On Our Own



Four kids lose their mom to illness and their deadbeat dad is in prison. This sends them on a wild goose chase to try and find their uncle Rick, who they hope can help them. Best scene is when the youngest boy picks up manure and chucks it at a bully.


5. Remo Williams



If you have not seen this movie, good luck finding it. I don't think it's on Netflix. Best scene is when Remo breaks out of the gas chamber by using a guys tooth filling. Best quote is by his master Chin, who said "Women should stay home and make babies".

What were some of the movies you watched as a kid?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At November 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Ticklemedana said...

lol we didn't own a ton of movies as a kid. My top five would probably be An American Tale (knew that one so well I would recite it in my head to help me fall asleep), Commando (yes the one with Arnold Schwartzenegger. lol. My parents didn't really regulate what we watched and my sister had a crush on him. ha.) The first Back to the Future, The Running Man (another arnold movie...not my favorite) and...hmmm...not sure if we owned anything else. oh! Duh...we owned "The Neverending Story" on Laser Disc. Ha. Would always fast forward the end part. =)

 
At November 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Ben Arkell said...

Ah, I definitely should have added Back to the Future. The Neverending Story was one we always watched at school. Is it any good? I think I remember liking it. I have a bad memory.

 
At November 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM , Blogger scott said...

We owned all those except number five, I wouldn't put them on our top five. I'm not sure I remember...my sisters would though. The version we had was called "The Bewitching of Ben Wagner".

 
At November 28, 2012 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Ben Arkell said...

You'll have to come over and watch Remo Williams sometime.

 
At November 30, 2012 at 8:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, I just discovered your blog and I have to say I love it! Especially your heartfelt posts about fatherhood. I worked many long hours as one of the team of people who produced On Our Own. How surprising to find this locally produced film remembered after so many years. Maybe all those nights I didn't get home in time to tell my kids a bedtime story, because I was working late on the film, were worth it.... because someone else's kids received enjoyment from it? Not sure. My kids would probably not agree. But fortunately, there WERE other nights when I was there to tuck them in and tell them stories. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the movie (presumably as a kid)... and remember it fondly enough to include on your "5 Most Viewed" list. On the same list with Hoosiers.... Wow! Lyman Dayton, the producer/director who worked so hard (few people know the herculean effort it takes to actually get an independent film made) would no doubt be please to read this post.

Best regards,

Adam

PS --

I would like to email you with some more personal reasons why I appreciate your blog, and the thoughts you share here. But, I'm embarrassed to say, I don't really understand how the whole "outlook" email thing works. So I wasn't able to figure out how to send an email to you through your "contact me" link. If you would do me the favor of emailing me at madafonos@gmail.com, I will reply to your email. I promise I'm not trying to sell you anything... ha ha. Just wanted to share my appreciation from one father to another about how your blog has helped me. And particularly why. You will understand more when I am able to write more candidly. Feel free to delete this "PS" section with my email address, after writing it down. Whether or not you decide to email me, thanks for your blog and for your example of a father with a great heart.

 
At November 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Ben Arkell said...

Adam, thanks for the nice comment. I could have written a lot more about "On Our Own". It's one of those movies that you could watch over and over and never get sick of. It has a wonderful message with a lot of good humor too!

I added a contact email on my blog, thanks for the reminder that I wanted to do that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home