Wednesday, November 14, 2007

One more pet peeve

Okay, so I love everyone who is reading this blog. I love the whole world. I am not writing this for any particular person or group of people, I am writing it to the whole world. I have a hard time in certain situations because I don't watch a lot of things other people do. Luckily we have some friends that we hang out a bunch with and they are wonderful people. On top of that, they think the same way about a great majority of things that we do, especially media, and it makes being around them even nicer. I consider myself to be pretty "Law of Mosesy" but sometimes I think I am outdone by this couple. We were talking about a "problem" I have of fibbing to my children and this friend said to me "It's sounds like you know it is wrong, so why don't you just stop". It was a kick upside the head, but I liked it.

My feeling is that so many of us-especially when media is involved-have to know that some things are not "right", and yet we consume them anyway. My challenge to you all would be this-read the following scriptures, and ask yourself if the things you consume in the media are in alignment with what we profess to believe.

Article of Faith #13
If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report
or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Moroni 7
16 For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man,
that he may know good from evil; wherefore, I show unto you the way to judge;
for every thing which inviteth to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ,
is sent forth by the power and gift of Christ; wherefore ye may know with a
perfect knowledge it is of God.
17 But whatsoever thing
persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve
not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil; for after
this manner doth the devil work, for he persuadeth no man to do good, no, not
one; neither do his angels; neither do they who subject themselves unto him.


Again, this is not "Ben's blog of guilt", but it is my opinion and google has allowed me this space to post whatever I want. My favorite scripture is in Alma 5:57 and it contains the following line-it roughly says "All you that are desirous to follow the voice of the Good Shepherd, come ye out from the wicked, and be ye separate, and touch not their unclean things". The morals of the world keep declining and we are jumping on the train with them. It's time we said "Stop this train Mr Conductor, we'll walk from here on out." (was that a cheesy way to end this post or what)
Let me restate, this post is not aimed at any one specific person, place, or thing. Let me restate also, that I am a great sinner and Jesus is a great Savior. (Amazing Grace, 2007)

4 Comments:

At November 15, 2007 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Danica said...

Oooh, good post. I know which friends you're referring to and you and them are both super GREAT. I'm in YW and the other week we had a lesson on media and I was telling the girls a story I heard in one of my stake conferences growing up: A dad made some cookies for his kids. To the recipe, he added just a small amount of dog poop. He told the kids what he had done. He said, "There's just a little dog poop, but everything else is really good." Of course, the kids didn't eat the cookies and they learned a good lesson.

I explained to the girls that it's easy to watch/read/listen to things in the media today that have a few parts of dog poop and the rest is "really good." And that it isn't okay. But it really got me thinking and feeling hypocritical b/c the one tv show I watch is like that (The Office). Most of it is super funny and I love the sense of humor, and then there are almost inevitably a couple stupid parts that I know aren't good.

So that's a really long post to say thanks for the great scriptures and the extra help to keep me in line!

 
At November 15, 2007 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Danica said...

Oh, and my grandma was only 69, but my grandpa is only maybe 60 (it's my step-grandpa but they married before I was born).

 
At November 15, 2007 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Elisa said...

I wouldn't say 'law of mosesy', maybe more like a 'continual work in progress' :)

 
At November 16, 2007 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Sara said...

that"s funny.
dad

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home